The famous Royal Route led from the Barbican through St. Florian’s Gate towards Main Market Square. From there, down Grodzka Street, it went to the Royal Castle on Wawel Hill. Any procession of the monarch making his way to the capital would pass by the tenement situated near St. Florian’s Gate, which these days is home to the Polski Hotel. The location in the heart of Kraków provides spectacular views of the Old Town as well as easy access to the most interesting sights and places of culture.
They offer accommodation in elegant, bright and spacious rooms and luxurious suites. The interiors are decorated with great attention to detail, combining historical style of furniture and finishing with modern solutions for all amenities. The Polski Hotel also has a state-of-the-art conference centre which can cater for events for up to 150 participants. In October 2016, we opened the hotel restaurant, Pijarska 17, which serves the best of Polish cuisine.
Carrying on the tradition of hospitality which goes back to the 19th century, when this very location was home to the inn “Pod Białym Orłem” (“Under the White Eagle”), our staff makes every effort to anticipate and meet the expectations of our guests. The rich history, the situation in the historic city centre, beautiful interiors and impeccable service all create an atmosphere that is far from ordinary.
The Hotel Polski pod Białym Orłem is one of Kraków’s oldest hotels. In city documents from the second half of the 18th century there is a mention of two tenement houses situated at the Royal Route, in the vicinity of St. Florian’s Gate, one of which served as an inn known as “Under the While Eagle”. The other one, located at the street corner, was also home to a small brewery. In 1913 both houses became the property of Prince Adam Ludwik Czartoryski who later modernised them by creating the “Hotel Polski”.
In the 1950s’ the hotel became property of the state under Communist rule. In December 1991, after the change of the political system, it returned to its rightful owners. It was also when it assumed its new extended name: “Hotel Polski pod Białym Orłem” (“under the White Eagle”). Since July 2014 it is run under the management of the Donimirski Boutique Hotels.
The interiors of the Hotel Polski pod Białym Orłem are decorated with reproductions of the works from the collection of the Princes Czartoryski Museum in Kraków. It is the oldest museum in Poland dedicated to the preservation of our patriotic and historical heritage. It owes its existence to Princess Izabela Czartoryska née Fleming. It was her who, upon the loss of Poland’s independence, started her art collection in Puławy in 1801, under the apt motto: The Past to the Future. Initially the collection was exhibited in Puławy, in buildings designed specifically for this purpose: the Temple of the Sibyl and the Gothic House. After the November Uprising was crushed in 1830, a large part of the collection fell victim to Russian looters. The surviving exhibits were eventually evacuated to Paris and placed at the Hôtel Lambert, which belonged to the Czartoryski family. It was there that the collection was restored and extended. In the 1870s’ Prince Władysław Czartoryski decided to have the exhibits moved to Kraków. The Museum, open since 1876, displays West European painting, military antiquities, Near Eastern art, artistic handicrafts as well as ancient objects. Without a doubt the most precious exhibits are Leonardo da Vinci’s Lady with an Ermine, and Rembrandt van Rijn’s Landscape with Good Samaritan. The collection also used to include Raphael’sPortrait of a Young Man, stolen by the Nazis during World War II.